Friday, May 22, 2009

The Home Stretch.

So. In 2 weeks and 2 days I will be leaving Galati.

Does this 4 months seem to have gone by really quickly for anyone else?

It is funny to think back to my first experience with the city. We came in on a train and immediatly got on a city bus to go to our host parents homes. I refused to take off my huge backpack that held half of my posessions and I took in the city through the windows of the bus. I remember having the thought then that everything that was so foreign to me then would be like old hat to me by the time I leave.
Robin took me into my host mom's house and I'm fairly positive I had tears in my eyes the entire time. She would lean over occasionally and tell me what they were talking about. I know cell phones entered the conversation at one point. Robin left and Doamna Scarlott pulled out the couch for me to sleep on and I was alone.

I am still sleeping on that same couch, and still haven't quite found the comfortable spot on it, but I do feel comfortable in my room. My host mom comes in and out at times to go onto the balcony, which doesn't have a door, so she uses the window. (Picture this: My little 60 year old host mom standing in the large window calling out "Buna Seara" to me while I am laying in bed. It was hilarious.) I can probably take the bus from my house to the Center with my eyes closed and tell you most everything you would see at every stop. For example, at the second stop there is a little restaurant where you just walk up and order your food and leave, it is called the Golden Chicken. It ALWAYS has a line...9 in the morning or 11 at night it doesn't matter, there are always people there.

There is still a lot to do before I go. We are having a Princess Day tomorrow with most of the older girls at the center. Just a day for them where they can feel special and honored. It will conclude with a dance party that I am in charge of. (My love for dancing was learned early on.) We will also will be riding the ferry across the Danube and going to Chinese with Simona, our language teacher. Anca and I will finish making my dress (thats right people, I'm learning how to sew!) I will make strawberry jam with Robin and stain some wood for a fence at the center.

So much to do! So little time! I can't believe it.

What is everyone else up to in the next weeks?

1 comment:

Allison said...

dance parties, sewing, jam, and staining decks! I cant compete. Wow cant wait to see you and hear all about your time away. Cant believe it is coming to an end.
Your stuff is safe and sound and untouched- well except a few books that I pulled to borrow :-) I will return though no worries.
I am off to India. Cant wait to tell you about my experience when we all get back to home!!! Praying for you friend.
Allison