Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Lesson.

Upon coming home from church today I did a little bit of my Romanian homework and then took a nap. I woke up about 3:30 and realized I had slept through lunch. Knowing I was coming down to the internet cafe in about an hour I knew I had to eat something before dinner. So I go into the kitchen and get some bread, take it into my room and eat it with some peanut butter I brought from the states.

Not 5 minutes after I have finished this my host mom comes in wanting to know if I am hungry. I tell her that I am fine, but she insits, motioning that I slept through lunch and that she wants to feed me. I give in, but I tell her that I will eat just a little bit.

I follow her into the kitchen and she shows me some soup and pasta with red sauce. I choose the soup, its the lighter of the 2 options and she fills my bowl (a little too full) and I begin to eat. She is still moving around the kitchen, which is pretty normal. She holds up the pasta and says "Vreau?" I nod my head, indicating that I like pasta. I continue eating, and notice that she is putting some pasta on a plate. I think she is just getting my plate ready for dinner. Then, to my dismay, I remember "vreau" means WANT not like. So in addtion to my peanutbutter and soup I am also served half a plate of spaghetti and a small piece of chicken. Goodness. I definitely won't make that mistake again..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the notes caitlin. It sounds like you have settled in. Maybe you will put on some weight over there?

Love you

Dad

Anonymous said...

I think you had two leaaons, but which was more important, the one about language or the one about culture.